Thank you everyone, our needs have been met, and we are no longer accepting donations :)
This is a place where we are trying to keep everyone informed
If you want to share this page with others it is at http://help.chrisandjenni.com
Our family journal is at http://chrisandjenni.com
The point of this page is for us to be able to communicate with anyone that want to know what they can do to help our family. In the last 24 hours we have been blessed in amazing ways, and to show gratitude in a public way for what we have been given.
It is kind of strange to write this out but so many people are asking. The other thing is that we dont want to seem ungrateful by being specific in what we need / want. I will share but we are so grateful for whatever we get. Also so that you can pray with us.
List of needs (incomplete)
Household Items Needed: If you would like to donate please email us or call. In the email please include contact information and the specifics. We will keep this list updated, as we get things they will move from this list to the one below. We will also be adding to this list as we discover other things that have been destroyed so you can check back over the next couple of weeks to see updates.
- Two smaller sized lamp shades
- Two throw pillows
- Crib mattress
- Weeding tools
- Registered at Target for lamp shades/pillows/mattress/tools/co-sleeper etc.
- Christmas decorations (White lights and christmas ornaments, Chris just found the remains of ours today) :(
- Suitcases – we had one medium sized one and one small and one backpack
- Kids table and chairs
List of wants
- Mini co-sleeper-we had a really nice little mini co-sleeper that didn’t make it through the fire. It’s one of those luxuries that really makes for a good night’s rest for mommy. You don’t realize how much you liked it until it is gone!
- Yard tools Chris lost in the fire-skill saw (I got him for Christmas last year). Might as well put it out there just in case anyone has a extra lying around! :)
- After we get settled in it would be nice to go on a date with my husband.
Things that have been donated:
- Cheese grater
- kitchen utensils (specifically I need a potatoe masher, servings spoons, flipper (spatula), and a ladel.
- A couple teething toys for Guenna
- Outside garbage can
- Crib sized mattress cover(and beautiful bumper/crib set to go with it)
- Several large rubbermaid totes for storage
- sledge hammer
- A couple cookie sheets
A house to rent in the country-we can’t wait to move in!!
Rugs-we have all wood floors Computer hutch Lawn mower Plastic juice pitcher King sized mattress cover Clothes hamper Work table
A few kids bowls and plates Dresser for Chris and Jenni
Dresser for Guenna
Dresser for boys Night stand Comfy chair for the living room Lots of new toys for the kids, bikes, stuffed animals, trains and so many more!
Office chair Yard tools-Shovel, rake, hose Johnny Jumper A few little toys for Guenna I had two huge shelves of fabric that I use for my sewing projects that was destroyed in the fire, it would be so nice if I could replace some of that.
Accepting donations for a king sized mattress and boxspring (this is because of Jenni’s back problems, it could be difficult to find a bed that will suit her without trying it out first). Toy box that looks almost like the boys old one! 2 – Book shelves (although these might not be necessary since all our books were destroyed ;) Some tupperware items
TV-we have been offered a couple tv’s but we don’t need one because we use our computer to watch tv so I thought I would clarify that here :) Oak dining room table and matching chairs Lamps – all our lamps were destroyed we will need floor lamps as well as table top lamps Clothing needed-Boys size 5T and up, Girls size 9 months and up.All our kids clothing that didn’t fit now were stored in the attic which was completely destroyed. High Chair Microwave Wagon (large enough to fit three children) End tables(possibly needed depending on the size of the house we find) Recliner Couch or love seat Double Stroller Breast pump Side rail for bed Box of children’s books Baby monitor Trundle bed for the boys Twin sheets Complete bedding set for our bed 2 Chilren’s rocking chairs Regular size rocker 2 bed pillows
- If you are in the area and would like to help with restoring the items that have been damaged please email Jenni at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be moving on August 5th and could definately use the extra hands.
List of giving and service (incomplete)
Tuesday-July 11, 2006
- Thank you to Bill and Sherri our landlords who were there supporting us and provided a place for us to stay while the firemen put the fire out, the boys felt right at home and Sherri brought out a box of toys that the boys quickly scattered all over their living room floor.
- Thank you to a young man who saw the fire from Anacortes St and came right over. When I ran out of the house with both my boys in my arms he and Bill picked them up off the ground and I ran back in the house to get Guenna and passed her off to another open arm, then ran back in to get my keys so I could move my car. The young man went with Sherri and I to her house and he held Eamon for a long time and then just stood there in her kitchen with us, a presence of kindness and concern that did not go unnoticed by myself or my children. I can’t say how appreciative we are of all the support the night of the fire from the whole community.
- The Red Cross was at the fire and offered help right away. They gave us vouchers for food and clothing. $150 for groceries $550 for clothes, and $250 for linens and bedding.
- My sister Carrie went to walmart to get diapers and essentials. While in line a woman asked if she was on her way to a baby shower. She told the story and on the way out of the store someone had given $20 to a walmart employee to give to her for us.
- When we got to my parents house to go to bed there were about 5 bags of clothes for Jenni and I from our friends John and Adele, they stayed with us as support until we headed to mom and dad’s for the night. Thank you so much guys.
Wednesday-July 12, 2006
- On Wednesday morning while salvaging a woman (Jen) drove up and asked what we needed, she returned later with a carseat for Aidan and gave us $40
- Chris’ work donated new boxes for us pack our things in, and gave him a bonus of $500. They have been so generous and such wonderful people to work for, we consider ourselves blessed beyond words.
- My dad’s work, R&H Mechanical donated use of there large box truck to move things to our storage unit.
- Our landlord came over and gave us a check for our damage deposit and prorated rent for the month of July. ( I asked him about the carpets but he said it was ok :)
- Several people have stopped by and donated items that they heard we would be needing including two carseats, a basinet, a baby swing, a bouncy seat, an activity rug for Guenna and some clothes for the kids.
- Numerous people have called and emailed saying that they want to help and to please let them know how they can, as the day has gone on we have felt more and more encouraged and the weight seems to lessen as we feel as though our community is doing exactly what the Bible tells us to do, “bear one another’s burden.”
- Our friends the Bryan’s drove all the way down to us from Ferndale to make sure we were okay and brought with them bags and bags of things for the kids, then organized it all up in our new room at mom and dad’s.
- Wednesday I took the clothes/blankets and washable materials to the laundromat. My friend Marlene came with me to help with Guenna (while Carrie watched the boys at Nana and Papa’s house). We looked at the task of washing every article of clothing left in our household as a daunting task, especially since neither of us had tried to get such horrible smoke smells out of clothing. I told the lady who managed the laundromat about the fire, and she offered to wash all my clothes for me. Her name is Arvilla and she did an incredible job getting the smoke out of our clothes! She probably washed/dryed/folded 25+ loads of clothing for us. It took her at least 8 hours to do it all. I can’t even begin to say how much this task meant to me, it was truly an act of love.
- Carrie watched the boys all day and took such great care of them while mommy was away, CJ worked so hard to help remove the items from our house on his day off. Dad took the day off to work all day in our messy house moving all those items in and out of the truck. Mom is a constant encouragement and helped out a lot with the kids after she got off work so that I could finish up some more errands.
Thursday-July 13, 2006
- Mrs. Smith donated $300-We don’t even know Mrs. Smith and still haven’t even met her, she is a neighbor of our good friend Carol-what a generous and compassionate heart she has! Thank you Mrs. Smith!
- Viewcrest Assembly of God donated $500-This is the church that Chris grew up going to, thank you all of being a part and blessing us in our time of need.
Friday-July 14, 2006
- Toby Price cut Aidan’s hair and my hair today, it felt so nice to do something relaxing, Carrie came to help me with the kids so that it could be half way relaxing! Thanks Toby, you always do such a great job cutting my hair! Bless you
- Today we have received endless emails and phone calls from people saying they want to donate items. We are extremely grateful! A little overwhelmed with the enormity of the task but grateful that so many people have stepped up to help us out. Bless you all!
- Olsen family donated $150 and words of hope and encouragement-thank you!
Saturday-July 15, 2006
- The cashier at Target upon hearing what happened to us, her eyes welled up with tears and she looked as though she was choking back the tears. After we finished our transaction she asked us if we would be offended if she gave us some money. Chris said, “not offended, but humbled.” She gave him $15. It’s those donations that really floor me, people who have never even met us and just have such compassion and then to be so bold to respond to the compassion they feel in their hearts. Bless them Father!
- My cousin Bronwyn and her son Keith sent a box of clothes for the boys, a tonka dump truck and tractor and bike, the boys were both thrilled with the new trucks and went to work outside later that day!
- A wonderful friend from our old church, Sharon, brought us dinner. What a blessing during a really hectic weekend!
Sunday-July 16, 2006
- We went to church this morning and they let us share our experience and cry a little and unload some of the emotions we’ve been feeling over the whole thing. It was good to be reassured that we don’t have to carry the weight of our shortcomings but that in Him we can find freedom from sin and failures.
- Two generous men at church gave Chris donations, one for $100 and one for $50.
- After church a little boy came up to Chris who is almost five years old and said, “I want to give you some of my money so you can get a new house.” Then his three year old sister piped in, “yeah me too, I want to give you some of my money so you can buy a new house.” Wow, these children really blessed us. They are so precious.
Monday-July 17, 2006
- Today my 12 year old niece Jazmin went with me to the grocery store to help me with the kids. I had a voucher to use so I knew that I would need an extra cart and at least two extra hands, she really blessed me and the boys just love her so much so she makes it extra fun! Thanks Jazz, you are a treasure! We love you!
- The Nebeker family (a family who found our website through a trail of other blogs) donated $35 via our Paypal account. What a blessing and a creative way to donate. Thank you for being so thoughtful, and for your encouraging words!
- One of Chris’ coworkers gave him a nice card with a $25 donation-thank you so much for your thoughfulness!
Tuesday-July 18, 2006
- A wonderful family let us come and pick out anything we could use out of their shop full of furniture and household items. We are going to be able to use two shelves, a cute wooden high chair, and a fun wooden toybox that looks a lot like the boys old box. What a generous offer! They found out about our situation through some friends who posted about it on www.craigslist.com
- We received a package of books from the Schreffler family of great old classics that the kids will just love! The books were fun for us to look through as they were books that Chris and I grew up reading, I’m sure the boys are going to have a blast looking through them tomorrow! They also sent a check for $85. Thank you so much Schrefflers!
- We had a much needed, stay at home all day day! Except for a 4 mile walk at the end of the day that ended up being a little longer than we expected! Chris and I were talking on the way back about how it doesn’t seem like a very long walk until you start heading back and you’ve gone too far! I nursed Guenna at Roozengaarde’s Garden that is open pretty much all year round, the boys played in the grass and ran around. I’ll post pictures later :)
- Today we received a donation for $25 from a lady in Berkely, Illinois who ran accross our blog just the other day. We continue to be amazed at how God is providing for our family!
- We also received a donation from the Chichester family for $100. The are sweet neighbor’s of mom and dad’s and ironically their daughter lived accross from the slough from us and called mom and dad about the fire right before I called them! Thank you both for your generousity and prayers, we are so blessed!
Thursday-July 20, 2006
- Viewcrest Assembly of God donated their kitchen and gym for us to use to begin the process of cleaning what we were able to salvage. This has been a huge process and what a blessing to have such a large facility to be able to oranize everything in-thank you so much!!
- We had a work day today and several people came and helped us, there were two ladies that helped in the morning (Rene and Shirley)and while they were there between us we had 8 children running around in the gym! They drove all the way from Lynnwood and stayed for several hours. Later Adele and her kids came and played with our children for a couple hours! Then Sandy and her two teenage kids came to help us for about 4-5 hours! For the last leg of our day my mother-in-law came and got all three of our kids, took them home and fed and bathed them so we could try to finish things up. It was a long day and I promised my kids we would stay home tomorrow. But we have quite a few boxes of things that used to be disorganized and smokey which are now organized and clean. Thank you to all of you who helped in some many ways today, your sacrifice does not go unnoticed!
- And a special thank you to my friend Ari who really wanted to help me today but her little girl came down with a 103 degee temp last night so she did the right thing and stayed home with her baby! I hope she gets well soon! Bless you, and thank you for your willingness to help!
- Today we recieved a donation for $300 from the Neer family, they are bloggers from Whitestown, Indiana who found our blog a few months ago and have been praying for us and wanted to help. It’s so humbling to receive money from others, especially knowing that people work hard for their money, thank you and may God bless you abundantly!
Saturday–July 22, 2006
- We received a sweet homemade card and a donation for $200 from the McNutt family. We have been following each ithers blogs off and on for severeal months. Thank you guys, it’s really going to help! God bless you :)
Tuesday-July 26, 2006
- Today we found another house to rent and it is just what we were looking for and more. We are so excited to begin the process of moving in! :)
- We received a gift card for Target from one of my mom’s co-workers. Someone we hardly even know. Wow, what a blessing. Thank you so much for your kind heart!
- We got a package of books from a blogging friend, including some tgreat ones that we have already read and some great ones that we want to read. Thanks so much Sarah, it was very thoughtful of you!
Thursday-July 27, 2006
- Today I met a lady in the Children’s museum who offered her and her husband’s help when we move in a week. She lives close to us and I can already tell we will be good friends for years to come! And the amazing thing is that our conversation started over the ergo (the thing I carry Guenna in)!
- I went to the toy store to buy some new babies for our kids and started talking with the ladies who owned the store. We talked for a long time about fire recovery, she had a friend whose house burned down recently and they were still dealing with the trauma as well as discovering things they are missing. As I was heading out the door she handed me a bag full of Thomas trains (seeing that my boys liked the trains they had been playing with the entire time!) There were probably over $100 worth of trains in that bag! My first thought is, I really don’t deserve these! But then again, we don’t deserve God’s grace and mercy and He blesses us with those precious gifts every day! Their trains were not even ruined. Part of me wanted to tell her that but I know that she receives a special blessing in giving and I don’t want to take that from her. Bless her dear Father!
- New babies-All the boys babies were destroyed in the fire. So yesterday I went to the store to purchase them a new baby. I got a sweet little dolly for Guenna and a soft Curious George for each of the boys. Every night since the fire the boys have cried and cried and it has been beyond both Chris and I to know how to help them settle down. Last night right before bed I gave each of the boys their new “bed buddies” as I called them. I instructed them to make sure that they take care of their buddies, make sure if they cry to hold them and tell them it’s okay, make sure that they are covered up by the blankey, and that they don’t get up out of bed. I had each of them show me how they were going to take care of their bud and tucked them into their little blanket. And I left the room with two sleepy boys, but no crying. Thank you Lord for “bed buddies”!
Friday-July 28, 2006
- Today we received payment for our first month’s rent from a family member and for the deposit by the Red Cross. You can only imagine what a huge blessing this is!
- We got the keys to our new house today, and will be able to start moving a few things in on Saturday. Yeah!!
Saturday-July 29, 2006
- Today we went to Redmond to pick out some new (to us) furniture. A friend of Chris’ cousin has a furniture store with very lightly used furniture. He offered to give us $500 credit to get some of the furniture we could use for our house. The amazing thing is that the furniture we got from him is really much nicer than what we had before, and we got to pick it out! We got three really nice solid dressers, a night stand that matches our dresser, and a really comfortable chair for our living room. We put it in the house already and are excited to move the rest of the stuff in to see how everything goes together! May God bless your business greatly for your generous donation, we can’t begin to tell you how much it means to us!! Here is the website for ABODA Furnishings, you’ll have to check them out!
Sunday-July 30, 2006
- After church we picked up a whole truck load of things that were being stored in Chris’ aunt and uncle’s garage. We got a twin trundle bed for the boys, several bags of nice clothes and toys for the kids, bedding, a nice chair, two rocking chairs for the boys and a whole bunch more stuff that I haven’t had the chance to look through yet! It’s like Christmas everyday around here! Chris’ family has been a real help in putting together a lot of the things we needed as well as putting us in contact with others who can help. Thank you all so much for everything, we appreciate it so much!!!!
- Our church also blessed us with a donation of $600 that was a compilation of donations from the members of our church. We have only been going to our church for a couple months and already we have felt so welcome and at home there. Thank you all for the sacrificial giving, we can’t tell you how much all your help, encouragement and prayers has meant to our family. Bless you all!
Monday-July 31, 2006
- Today we received a date in the mail :) We received a check from a lady who found us through a friend’s blog (she is from New York!)and thought she would love to send Chris and I on a dinner date. I promised her that I wouldn’t use it on groceries and I will keep my promise, I’m going to put it in my savings account until we are able to get away from our children for something other than working to pick up all our mess from the fire! :) Thank you so much, we like any other couple out there, could really use a date! Bless you!
Tuesday-August 1, 2006
- Today we received a donation of $35 in the mail from a friend of mine from Maple Valley, WA. Thanks so much, we are truley blessed!
Dear Chris and Jeni,
Jim and I just heard about the major event that happened to you. I am getting ready to leave for MN this Sat., but when I get back. I will go throgh our things and see what we have. We are so blessed to hear that you are all safe and sound. Off hand what I do know that I have is a wine colored table lamp and a new pro chopper that I do not need as I all ready have a chopper. Let us know if you would like these items. Will check around for more when I get back into town.
God Bless each one of you,
Jim and Sheri Slayton
Jenni, I have a double stroller I’d like to get to you ASAP. If you are in the south sound area, please let me know.
We may have more if you are so close, please let me know when you can. :)
Please let us know when you have a fund set up – I would love to help spread the word!
What a trial for your family, but isn’t a joy to see how God provides for His children at all times?
You’re in our prayers.
Thank you all for your responses! Sheri we could use the lamp, whenever you can if you would give it to my mom she can bring it up with her when she comes up sometime.Thanks!
And KimC-we set up a separate bank account for the donations. If anyone wants to make a donation they can email us at email@example.com we will give further instruction. Thank you!
Jenni–I have been weeding out my size 5 boys clothes for a while now, as well as the smaller size 6’s. But I am going to be going through Jimmy’s clothes again in the next few days. I will e-mail you if I can get a package together of this size range for you. Sounds as though you have had a lot of help and support! I am thinking of you here. HUGS!!! Marilyn
Hi Chris & Jenni – we’re saying prayers for your family. I have access to a used but in very good condition full size futon that could be used for a couch. No rush so just let us know when you can use it. Also have a lead on a microwave and lamps. I will confirm shortly. Best wishes,
Trish & Jeff Heath
Jenni and Chris,
I have a high chair that you may have, if you still need one. Send me an email of where to bring it and when you need it. I’ll hold onto it, so no rush. I’m sure you are very busy.
Heard about your situation through friends, and would feel blessed to help.
Chris and Jenni, I am sitting here reading about your tragedy, looking at the pictures and crying. I grieve for you but my tears are emotion from the blessings you are receiving. To watch God in action is the most awesome adventure of our lives. I so wish we were close to help you, but Florida is about as far away as we can get. You know you can count on prayers and we will help in any other way we can as we are able. We love you and know that what is around the corner is better than what is behind. Carolyn and Philip
Jesse and I have been talking about this today. We are praying for you guys as you walk through this situation. We are moving into a bigger apartment in about a month, and will be getting a bigger dining room table. We would love to bless you with our current table, if you need/want it.
It is a four person table with four chairs. The top of the table is slightly water damaged from the flood we had a while back. Ironically appropriate, don’t you think?
We were going to paint them (they were white) and so they are in the process of being stripped and repainted. Your choice of red, black, white, or oak finish. ;-)
We love you guys and will be praying for you.
hey- we have a small, very similar to your old one (not quite as nice) dining room set , white metal legs and light wood-type top, it is yours if you want. we can bring it to you whenever you’d like. we never use it, so it will just free up play area for autumn and work area for me. also, a 3 feet high about to my hip) by 4 or 5 feet long cream colored bookshelf, whenever you are ready.
also…after you get the bare necessities, let me know anything kitchen-y and i will pick up whatever tupperware stuff you want. pantry modular mates, bowls, airtight storage, veggie holders, lunch takers for chris, seasonings, whatever you need, k? i will be up there again on the 21st and can bring stuff if you have a place, otherwise, we have room til whenever.
If fabric is still a want, I have fabric to share!!
Let me know – when you’re ready to restock, you could come “shop” (choose) from what my friends call, “Shirley’s quilt shop!” Or I can bring you whatever fabrics you want if you give me an idea of types, styles, etc.
Your story touched my heart as it has many.
May God give you peace in a unsettled situation.
I’d like to help with one of the ‘wants.’ In fact, I think it’s going to be a ‘need’ after a time. You should consider going on that date a little early, just for your own sanity. No matter how much work needs to be done, everyone needs a break! It will help you get a breather, and it’s only a few hours. So if you can tell me about a favorite restaurant in your area, maybe I can contact them for a gift card that you can use. Just let me know!
Wow Mom2fur! That is such a great offer, hmmm? My favorite, honestly? Well, I would probably say Olive Garden but that wouldn’t be very honest, absolute favorite is a wonderful Itallian restaurant called El Grainio in Mt Vernon, but they are a little pricey so Olive Garden or the Brewery would be my next pick down the line. Thanks so much, I will have so get your email address off my website and email you but if I forget I thought I would comment here while I’m thinking about it. Bless you!
just checking if you need our table or if the one listed is a different one. glad you are doing ok. hope to talk to you soon.
just linked over from Craig’s list.
Still sitting here crying.
Jenni – I have nice girl’s clothing in 3T and up. Please make a list of any sewing notions and or fabric you need. I am a sew-at-home-mom with more than my share.
Of course, when you have the time and right home for it all.
your family is in our prayers,
brenda scamehorn (burlington, wa)
Delena, thank you for the offer but yes someone else has donated a table and chairs. Thanks so much!
Brenda, thank you. We are amazed at how many new people we feel connected to through this situation. Bless you! Who knows, maybe we will meet sometime!
Jenni and Chris,
I have been moved to tears by your situation and the outpouring of love you are experiencing. This is an incredible example of the breath of God that dwells in all people. Uncle Michael and I will be in touch. We may be seperated by an ocean, but we still want to help in any way we can. If you still are in need of fabric I can send you some beautiful Hawaiian prints. Let me know your favorite colors and yardage.
July 26th was Wednesday.
So where is this Redmond store if some of the rest of us might be looking for furniture and wanting to check out the place that helped our friends?
Pingback: Chris and Jenni » Sorry about the sidebar
what happened a fire???
I’d like to know Christian…
Pingback: A blog fire recovery « Scobleizer - Tech Geek Blogger