A new adventure…

Our family has been on a journey of learning how to eat more healthy for the past 5 years, ever since we got married Chris and I have been trying to figure out how to eat right. We’ve made some great progress, we feel, in that journey already. We mostly eat whole grain foods, make most of our own breads, no white flour or sugar, eating more fruits and veggies every day. So yesterday when I was given some money for my birthday I decided to look at a book store for a book on Detox. I found one that looked good, it’s called “The Raw Food Detox Diet” by Natalia Rose. I’ve started reading it already and am pleased with what I have read so far. It’s easy to understand, not too long, has great simple recipes that will be easy to adapt to our style of living/eating, gives really easy steps for anyone to follow. I’m just really impressed and feel very hopeful. Do we plan to go 100% raw foodists? No, nor do we plan to become vegetarians or vegans. We enjoy all those foods too much to face the thought of never eating cooked food/meat again. We do plan to change a lot about the way we eat, and for the first time I really feel like I have been handed a really simple tool to help us achive those goals. I’m excited about what this means for us as a family. It’s a journey, a lifelong journey I believe, of discovering what it truly means to be a faithful steward of this body, this “temple” the Lord has blessed us with. Should be fun to report the things we learn along the way, the struggles and the victories. Now I’m off to find some needed sleep after a long but fun birthday weekend, my family blessed me with a fun shopping day with my husband yesterday. I was able to purchase a few fun things that I’ve been wanting (including a couple shirts to accommodate our growing baby-he/she has outgrown almost all of my other shirts :). Isn’t it amazing how many wardrobes a woman can go through during her childbearing years?!

This entry was posted in Cooking, Family, Healthy Food Choices. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to A new adventure…

1. Christian says:

Yeah, it look like there is much in there that we can implement in small ways at first. I am looking forward to shedding those pounds though :)

HAPPY BIRHDAY JEN!!! I’ve read that book. In fact if I remember correctly that is the book that I got the green lemonaid recipe out of. Another great on it The detox book by bruse fife. That talks in depth about other ways to detoxify the body as well as what you eat. It’s pretty interesting. Have a swell birthday. I’ll be here packing and thinking about how nice it will be to be home.

3. Krystle says:

Happy Birthday Jenni!

That looks like a great book. Definately something I should maybe look into, I need to lose weight! :) hehe

So, Happy Birthday, and Congrats to making a healthier step in life, for your family. :)

4. Karen says:

Wow, Jenni, I wonder what the Lord is doing? About 2 years ago, we began making a change to whole foods – turning away from processed foods as much as possible. Now, Erik and I have quietly been switching to raw more and more (we’re at probably 60-70% raw now). And we feel SO good – it makes such a difference.

I picked up a book recently called “Raw Food, Real Life” and it was quite an education (but a fun one). I read it cover to cover – it was entertaining as well as educational. One of the amazing things that it mentions, that Erik and I have found to be so shockingly true, is that when you go raw (even gradually or partially), you don’t crave what you’ve replaced! We actually CRAVE more raw foods. That’s a good thing, because I know that when Erik did Atkins, he CRAVED carbs…When you go “low-fat” you end up CRAVING regular-fat items. This is making us just crave more raw! It’s amazing.

We feel so much more healthy, and while like you, we don’t plan to go 100% raw, we definitely see the benefits of it, and we plan to incorporate it as much as possible.

A couple of ways that we’ve been introducing this to the kids:

1. We rarely steam or saute our veggies anymore. We start our meal with a raw offering of some sort (some ideas: veggie slaw, salad with dried fruits and nuts, or smoothies). Raw foods promote better digestion, so even if you’re not going 100% raw, you’re doing your body a favor by getting as much as possible! The kids must eat the first course BEFORE I’ll even put the “main” course on the table (us too!). We have found that after eating a big salad or hearty smoothie, that eating the “main course” is usually a side note…and I often am not hungry for it anyway. This is a good thing!
    ;-)

2. Always having fruit (fresh or frozen) on hand keeps the kids going back for more. And Roo, for instance, LOVES pistachios, so I make sure that I keep those around too.

3. We talk with the kids enthusiastically about nutrition and what “bad” foods do to your body (and we back it up by not buying them). My kids have developed a veritable MSG (monosodium glutamate) PHOBIA! But we’ve found that the less we eat of the yuckies, the more sensitive we are to them. We will inevitably end up with headaches, hyperactivity, and/or irritability when we forget to ask if, for example, a Chinese food restaurant cooks with MSG or artifical flavorings. It really helps to educate the kids – then they’re on board, not because Dad and Mom are weird, but because they are learning what’s GOOD.

4. Erik and I model by trying new things in front of them. Tonight, for instance, I made fajitas. But Erik and I ate our veggies raw (the chicken was cooked of course!) in the fajitas. They were INCREDIBLE! I think I’ll post the recipe on my cooking blog, because it was GOOD. Very flavorful and fresh!

Anyway, wow…I don’t think I’ve ever left such a long comment before. And as I said, we’re just starting this, and we have much to learn (and we’re not making too much fuss over it with family and friends because we don’t want them to think that they have to cook special for us or anything!). But I’m glad that the discussion is going on – I can’t wait to learn more!

Go Chris and Jenni!!

Love,
    Karen

Thanks Karen for the really long comment :) That was really fun! About the craving thing, I’ve found the same thing since I’ve been eating more raw foods, I crave them too and don’t miss the carbs nearly as much as I thought I would.

I love this book’s approach to starting to eat raw, they give you simple ways to transition into the diet and it really is simple. I was also very excited to go buy groceries tonight, and then while we were at Fred Meyer’s a friend of ours secretly left a $50 Fred Meyer gift card at the customer service desk. Talk about a huge blessing to our food budget this week! I almost felt like it was the Lord saying, “you’re on the right track, now here you go!”

I would love to hear about more of your ideas Karen and please do post the recipe on your blog, I can’t imagine eating a raw veggie fajita, but then I’ve never tried it :)

Well, all that in mind, we will see you in a few weeks for dessert! :)

6. roberta says:

I am interested in what you’re doing Jenni (and Karen). We bought a juicer and used it pretty regularly at first, but after the move totally fell out of the habit. It made the BEST lemonade!!!!
    But the detox with beets…oh my.

I’ll try to keep up with what your doing…need all the inspiration I can get.