Thinking about cloth diapering…

I’m thinking about cloth diapering and I’m looking for any of you who have tried it and know what brands are best. I think the biggest thing I’m wondering about is how many to buy from the beginning.  So the brands I have seen myself are Fuzzi Bunz, but the more I look the more I realize there are a ton of different options and a vast ammount of suggestions out there. I don’t know many who’ve made the investment so I’m looking for someone who’s experienced, possibly tried more than one brand. There are the pocket diapers (like fuzzi bunz), and the fitted kinds, prefolds and many more!  Then you also have the different kinds of inserts with different levels of absorbancy. One great thing about them though is that I was just looking on ebay and if I do make the investment and decide that I don’t want to continue I can sell them at 80-90% of their value and really haven’t lost anything since I would have been spending that money on disposables anyway. So, help me out here ladies, any advice? I’m just thinking, I spend about $400/year on diapers and wipes, and I could get a good set for around that much, new. I plan on having more children, why invest that every year when I can do it once and get it over with? This was my revelation today and I’ve been doing some research and thought I would ask for your advice.

Thanks ladies!

This entry was posted in Family, Homemaking, Parenting. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Thinking about cloth diapering…

1. Tam says:

Well. . . .the only experience I have is with cloth diapers is wearing them as a child. However, I do remember putting one on you as a small child. I think the reason I remember that is because I poked you with the safety pin. At that moment that “safety” pin didn’t really live up to it’s name and I was marked for life! I love you sis and I appreciate your tenacity and determination to learn and try new things. You are an inspiration to me!!

2. Nickie says:

I have a friend who swears by them. I’ll get the info for you. And a tidbit she shared with me – if you let the soiled diaper dry out before scraping off the soiled matter, they don’t smell. Hmmmm. ;)

Thanks for your advice sis? I love you! The nice thing about cloth diapers these days is that you don’t have to use pins, most of them have buttons or velcro-I think I will go with the buttons though.

Nickie, thanks for getting that info for me. About her little tip though it seems to me like it would be harder to clean when it’s dry though. ??? I’ve used cloth when I was a nanny for my little cousin and they didn’t seem like too much work. Although I’m thinking I’m going to go all out and do it for all three, we’ll see though!

4. Amy says:

I have used cloth for kiddos 1-4, (the old fashioned way!) #5 had super sensitive skin, so we switched to disposables at 6mo. No cloth for #6, and #7 is in them about 50% of the time with disp. at night (I couldnt get her not to leak, she takes a bottle to bed).

My most favorite things about cloth diapers is that they potty train/learn, earlier, about 6mo in my informal poll :o) They are cuddlier. The cloth is much more comfortable to them than a paper diaper. The down sides are that you do have to change them more often, about an extra two or three times a day. Also cloth is more bulky so they dont seem to fit well into certain clothes, or need to go up a size earlier.
    Its true about the poo, you let it sit, it just knocks off, no dunking required. BUT a cool thing about the new front loaders is that they get things so clean that until they are eating solids, you just wash the poo, no dunking required!
    I have tried fuzzi bunz and they are nice, but pricey. Your right about the resale though, isnt that CRAZY? Anyway its a hard decision to make so here is a link that I love;

Also lots of ladies sew their own, usually ordering special fabric online, through coops. If you want more info on that, let me know.

Happy hunting!
    ~Amy

Thanks Amy! And I actually found that diaperpin site yesterday and found it really helpful, although I could end up spending a lot of time there, there is so much information to digest! :) Thanks, I would like to know about the making your own diapers, although I don’t think I’m up to it at this point but possibly slowly into the future.

Thanks again!

Here’s Nickie’s response from her friend-Thanks Nickie!

Hi Nickie,
    I use 2 different kinds actually. For newborns, I use a brand called Kissaluvs. The are really soft and GREAT for holding in the runny, breatfed poops. After they are past these (at about 6 mos or so) I use a really high quality chinese prefold. There are a lot of different kinds out there. I buy mine from http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com . The lady who runs the site is a Christian and was very helpful in answering all my questions when I first started using cloth when Faith was born. Both kinds need a diaper cover and there are a lot to choose from in that category as well. I use Alexis pants, Aristocrat wool (for at night) and Bummis super wraps/snaps all of which can be found at the website I listed above. I hope that helps!
    Have a lovely day–
    Robin :)

Wow!! I have a lot to learn about cloth diapers! Even though I used them for three kids, and started on my fourth (sensitive skinned Jenni)! my favorite diapers were square, and I folded them to fit the kid, whatever size he or she was! I believe it is called the “kite fold”. I bought some, and made some myself, for the kind I used I just bought white flannel and cut them square and all I had to sew was a hem on each end…the selvedge edge did not have to be finished. For nights when they got older I just folded two diapers together and voila I had double strength!! This way might not be new and improved, but I bet in the long run it would be cheaper! Of course I had to use “Plastic Pants” to keep the moisture in. Love You!

8. Karen says:

Well, someone’s gotta be the poop in the pants, so it might as well be me.
    :-)

I did cloth with my Kei, but found the laundry too much to keep up with (and that was just with one child!). I molded more diapers than I kept clean. Poor me.
    (Are you sad for me?)

I also found when I tried them with my next child, that her skin was too sensitive for them, and she had constant rashes. So I switched to disposables, and haven’t gone back.

But if you decide to go with them, knock the dried poop off of my commments, and let me know how it goes! I just might try them again myself!

:-)
    Karen

9. delena says:

ooohhh…my friend heidi uses them and found some amazing ones and swears they are just great…you can find the 25% cheaper on email than new, and i think she said her newborn has a dozen or so, and she just does a load of washa every day, but i will check with her on prices, kind, etc…

10. Roberta says:

Jenni~
    Good question. My little man is 5 weeks tomorrow, well, technically today, and it’s about time to start the cloth. (my friend who is a tried and true cloth diaper user suggests disposable until their legs chunk up a little.) Must say I’m nervous about the added laundry, which I struggle to keep manageable anyway. I am interested what Amy has to share about homemade diapers. And Karen…you are a silly gal! :)

I agree with Roberta on that last comment, Karen-you crack me up! Good thoughts though, everyone has good imput though! I was planning on waiting until this baby is a few weeks old to try them to see if her skin is sensative/and for her to fatten up a bit. But if she takes after her brother Eamon who was 10 lbs on his five day appointment (yes, he weighed 9 lb 5 oz at birth, my babies never lose!) we shouldn’t have a problem with the chubby legs thing!

I can see your point about the laundry, but I guess I will see how it goes. I’ve been doing much better with keeping up on my laundry lately (but then again I felt like that right before Eamon was born-I will probably go through about 5 or 6 months of feeling behind and then get pregnant again! :)

Thanks everyone!